Thursday, July 17, 2008

I Will Follow...

So, I'm on my way out the door to work, which is new to our family, because for the past seven months, I've been working out of our home office, and my six year old daughter, Jules, decides that she's going to come with me today.

"No, honey, " I say in the most gentle tone I can speak in. "Daddy needs to go to work by himself today. You can come with me next week."

Well instantly like a leech, she attaches herself to my left leg and somehow holds on with the strength of Samson. I'm trying to wriggle my leg free from her six year old hands, but each time I would begin to come loose, amazingly she would take hold of a new appendage and refuse to let go. So now, I'm laughing hysterically and she's crying uncontrollaby. Finally I get loose, and I say more sternly, "Jules, you can come next week. Today I am going alone."

She responded with a sob, "I'll follow you!"

Well, I had one more thing to grab from upstairs, and when I came back down, I asked my wife where Jules went to. She said she didn't know and hadn't seen her since our little wrestling match.

Well, I know my daughter. "Come with me. I'll bet you anything, she's in the car."

Sure enough, there she was, sitting in the back seat, buckled up, and holding in a half smile as if to say, "Dad, I won this time..."

It's amazing to think of the determination my little girl had to want to be with me. She said, "I'll follow you!" and she did just that. It made me ask myself, "Is this how God wants us to follow him?"

Matthew 16:24 says ..."If anyone would come after me (Jesus), he must take up his cross and follow me."

Something to think about...

No comments: